Monday, August 1, 2011

Rabbit! Rabbit!

'Tis August 1st and I don't know anyone who couldn't use more good luck so don't forget to say Rabbit Rabbit today.

Metro Detroit normally has, on average, 13 days of 90 degrees or higher temps per year. We had 20 of them in July alone. I know this doesn't compare to other states who have had more hot days coupled with drought and danger of wildfires. Wherever you live, when you have prolonged unusual weather, it affects your normal routine. I hate to admit this, but the older you are, the more it seems to affect you.

Hubby and I were at the cottage this weekend. It is always cooler on the water, right? Normally I believe this, but if this is true, I hope the paint hasn't melted off our siding at home while we've been in a 'cooler' locale. Don't think I'm serious about the heat? Just look at what happened to my favorite vendor. His ice cream got so soft in the heat, kids at the park couldn't eat it fast enough before it became a huge mess. Emphasis on huge.
By the time he got to my street, his whole operation succumbed to the sweltering weather.
What sad, sad photos. I should have been there with a spoon!

Portions of the afternoons were too hot to be out on the deck while the sun was in full force. Mind you, I am NOT complaining about sunshine as I love sunny weather. I simply went indoors and pretended to be cool with two box fans and an overhead running. Have I told you that I hate the noise of fans? I do. Seriously. After 48 hours of them running nonstop, I think I've ground my teeth down to nubbins.

So what did I accomplish this warm weekend? I cooked dinner twice. I knitted until I could see the pattern develop and then ripped it out because I didn't like how it looked. I found a pattern hopefully better suited for yarn that I had to have, but couldn't start it because I didn't have the right size needles with me. I finished a paperback that my sister-in-law loaned me and am almost done with a second one. I took divadom (the art of being a diva) to a new height as I sat with my feet up, knitting and reading material nearby, while learning to play Words with Friends on my iPhone.
Wherever you are today, may your diva-ness be cool and devine. Remember my Rabbit! Rabbit! advice ( explained here ) and for heaven's sake, if an ice cream starts to melt on your street, get out a spoon for each of us and call me!

4 comments:

Rudee said...

I love your photos! Poor ice cream vendor.

I'm still dabbling in blue yarn here, too. I think it goes well with the blue pedicures.

Stay cool! Rabbit-rabbit.

SkippyMom said...

Purty toes!

And rabbit rabbit!

Sewconsult said...

BLUE toes and a project, too! I'm so tired of this heat. Forget Fall, bring on the Winter!
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Chatty Crone said...

I am so with you on the ice cream - call me u p!