Friday, August 19, 2011

Nothing like a deadline to motivate a person

My oldest son has been talking about having a garage sale since spring. I said I would help watch Colton during this and enter a few things. I don't plan to ever host a garage sale here again. I would sooner donate items or have a bonfire. I'm not against garage sales, I just don't want to host one.
Anyway, knowing that one would eventually be held, I set things aside in the spare room. A vase I never use. Comforters for twin beds from the cottage. Glasses we never use. You know, that kind of stuff. Yesterday I did an inventory of what was in there and was surprised how much I had set aside.
Later in the day I began in my craft room. I knew there were a few things in that closet and on shelving that I would try to sell. One thing led to another and soon I had everything out of the closet and was cleaning and reorganizing. This is good though, and I've come up with more items for the sale, but man, I am beat! I have so much going on from now until next weekend, this reorganizing has to wrap up tomorrow, and even then I don't have a full day because we're going to a barbecue.
I am taking mini cupcakes as a dessert contribution. I had grandiose ideas early in the week of offering a variety of cake flavors and different color icings, but when we got to crunch time today, I made chocolate cupcakes and tinted the frosting a very light yellow. I used a 1M size tip which made this project go quickly.
Somehow the intended sale items will get tagged and taken to my son's house before the sale, but it is going to be a crazy week. Let this be a warning to those of you who think retirement will be boring. Ha!


5 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Oh my. I can relate to the garage sale comment. I would never host one again - it is a ton of work, but we did a few when we were younger - and had more energy. Now I just give the stuff away.

Those cupcakes are so beautiful. My son and his fiance said when they get married, they will have cup cakes instead of a cake. I had never heard of such a thing, but since then I have discovered that it is the "new" in thing to do.

Who knew!! :-)

SkippyMom said...

I have to agree - I would never host another yard sale. We just call the Lupus foundation whenever we have a donation and they come to our door and pick it up. So easy!

I love the cupcakes, so cute!

Chatty Crone said...

No more garage sales for me either - you will have to tell us how it goes. The cupcakes were beautiful!

Blondie's Journal said...

I feel the same as you...I don't want to have a sale but I'd love to join in on one! I could go room to room and exhaust myself as well!

Your cupcakes turned out beautiful...very professional looking! Yum! Have a great weekend!

XO,
Jane

Anonymous said...

Hi Knitty, When our grandson was little he talked me into having a garage sale and I said never again but my neighbor talked me into having one this year. Big, big mistake! Never, ever again for me. Those cupcakes really look delicious! I do like reading books on WWII. I find it very interesting to read anything that has to do with history. Thank you for stopping by to visit me. I have been following your blog periodically these past months. Your little grandson is so adorable :>) He's growing by leaps and bounds. I hope you have a great week. Many blessings to you and your family ♥