Monday, August 15, 2011

Are you Mrs Jones?

Do you try to keep up with the Joneses or are you one of the Joneses?

I'm not talking about homes, jewels or fancy cars.  I really don't care about your possessions. I'm happy if you're happy. I have enough to do taking care of my own crap stuff. I'm talking about how your blog looks. I do not see green until you do something on your blog that I need want and don't know how you accomplished it. You (yes, I'm pointing at you!) need to stop torturing me with pretty things, useful options and all sorts of fanciful gadgets. Oh yeah, and interesting posts too. I just can't compete.
The last time I went on a major Must Know How to Accomplish This expedition, it was my quest to learn how to make the clickable navigation bar that saved posts to those headings. I am really not so full of myself that I think others need that navigation bar because they might want to find something I wrote about beading. I was going to say cooking, but Bill just walked behind me and snorted. We had Wendy's for dinner but I drove to get it. That counts as providing dinner doesn't it?

Where was this rambling going? Oh yeah, learning new things about blog designs. I truly think this is fun, but it is also frustrating. It would help if my knowledge of  HTML progressed in a logical, linear fashion, but that is not the case. I need to learn LMN (not an acronym, just a made up example) so I jump into the middle of everything and learn how to handle LMN. In the process I find that there was something I really to know about A and B so I learn that too.

The next lesson in my journey based on what I need to know right this very minute because Mrs Jones' blog does what mine does not (whew, take a breath!) might have me learning J, K and something about W. I really should take a class and go from A to Z but will I do that? Probably not.
The more I learn, the more I realize there is to know. There is so much help available online, but it doesn't always answer specific questions or in the case of blog backgrounds, they don't always work the way they're expected to work. Sometimes I know what the problem is. See, I have learned! Sometimes I have a vague idea but don't know for certain, and other times, I am just plain clueless.
The look of this blog will probably change a few times over the next week or so as I continue to experiment. I have a test blog that I test most things on first, but I'm restless and not satisfied with this background. I'm working on a 15" monitor and surprised by how different things look on wider monitors. I think I need a new monitor for my birthday next month. Photobucket

This definitely isn't going down as one of my better posts, but I am trying to post more regularly, not just read about about to post better. And prettier. And gadgetier. What? That isn't a word? Be kind. As you can see by this recent photo of me at my keyboard, I don't have spell check.

5 comments:

Sewconsult said...

I really like your new blog appearance. It's perfect in my eyes. Since I was (and still talk to myself, as...OK, SMITH!), I have no desire to keep up with the Joneses. Growing up in our household, you had what you had and that was it. Last time that I had a visit with my mother's side of the family, I learned that my cousins thought we were the rich cousins. I was shocked. They were the ones with the fancy shoes and purses in high school and the name brand clothes. My mother made our clothes, including coats. My sister is the Keep up with the Joneses one in the family. I could right a blog on how different she & I are and size is a big part. She's petite and I am not. She gets her genes from Mother, I get them from Dad.
Enjoy the learning process. I love the internet for that reason. A leads to B & C or maybe L!
Beckie

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

your blog looks very nice! mine has been the same for five years and i paid someone to do that! ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoox

Chatty Crone said...

I think your blog and your new additions look great - and I am with you - I see so many new things on peoples blog - and I want them - and I have no idea how!

I think Wendy's is eating dinner!

Debbie said...

I kept nodding my head through this because I do the SAME thing. I am so stinking inept that it takes me forever to make a change, but I'm always looking at Mrs. Jones's blog and thinking, "Now, HOW does she do that cool thing?"

Debbie said...

By the way, I'm new here so I didn't know what it looked like before. I just know it looks nice now.