Monday, November 17, 2008

Blue Quilts

Here we are at the second Monday in November already, and another Blue Monday hosted by Smiling Sally.

My fondness for blue carries throughout many of the quilts I've made. Looking back through my photos, even I am surprised at how blue has prevailed. Here is the wall quilt that started it all. A local quilt shop held classes taught by talented friend. It is hand pieced and quilted.

I've made many variations on this quilt which is machine embroidered and pieced. Some were machine quilted, others by hand, but all done with simple outline quilting. I've also made it in red and white and in black and white.

Closeups of a few of the blocks
One of the blocks and a view of the backing

The next two quilts are both Winnie the Pooh, but different styles of Winnie. This pattern is called Tumbling Blocks and the images are Peek-a-boo Pooh. The mommy who received this was decorating the nursery in Peek-a-boo Pooh items. I bought a sheet and cut it up for sides of the block.


This quilt features Classic Pooh. The characters are from earlier (maybe original?) Winnie the Pooh illustrations. Once again, a crib sheet was used for the block centers as commercial fabric wasn't available in Classic Pooh.


My husband doesn't often react to anything I make, probably because he sees so much over the years. This quilt was going to be a gift for someone else until he took a strong liking to it. The pattern is Split Rail Fence, using five prints in white, light, medium and dark gray, and black in the blocks. The only blue is in the first border, but the blue adds a lot to the quilt.



This small wall quilt was recently and begrudgingly put away until next summer. The sky has been gray all day and we have a layer of snow on everything. There is beauty in each season, but it is much easier to see when the sun is shining.


Happy Blue Monday everyone!

27 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I tried to pick which one I like the best, and it's impossible. You do beautiful work. Happy Blue Monday!

C'est moi Claudette said...

I can't believe I'm up so early so not like me. YIKES!!
I always wanted to Quilt but always thought it looked so hard. You make it look so easy. Maybe one day.
Lovely quilts.
Claudie from Canada

Baba said...

Wow... Knitty, you are so talented..I love all of your quilts. Thanks for sharing them with us...

Anonymous said...

Knitty! How tallented you are! These quilts are just beautiful.I love your embroidered blocks quilt.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Unknown said...

Your quilts are amazing! I love the one with all of the embroidered squares. I can see why that bold geometric appealed to your husband. It looks more modern and a little masculine compared to what I think of a traditional quilt colors and patterns.

ellen b. said...

Knitty! How wonderful all your quilting is! I love the images on the blocks you've shown. Have a great day...

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

You do such beautiful work. I can't pick just one. I like them all so much!

Envoy-ette said...

Those are gorgeous! And they came from your own hands!

Vylat said...

Those are really the most beautiful quilts. Such amazing patterns. Truly a work of art.

Donna said...

Oh, Knitty, I hope your snow isn't on its way here to New England. I'm with you... I'd much prefer have warm spring or summer days than gray skies and snow. Well, your quilts are just beautiful. You are very talented! I especially like the classic Pooh quilt.. I've always loved the classic Pooh illustrations!...Donna

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Girl ! you sure are an excellent quilter !

CC said...

Oh my !! Your quilts are gorgeous. What wonderful work you do. Happy Blue Monday.

Cindy said...

Oh so enjoyed seeing your quilts! When I was little, I used to help my mother with her quilt blocks! It is something that, since I received a sewing machine for my birthday in September, I have been wanting to tackle again! Seems you may be just the lady I need for advice! Have a great week!

Sweetie said...

Your quilts are beautiful. You certainly are an artist. Each one is my favorite. Happy Blue Monday.
Sweetie

the author said...

Oh my goodness, the blue and white one with the children on it? LOVE it!

I tried to comment on your yesterday post but your page froze on me, so I just wanted to say... yay to your baby boy! And he's lucky he's got your gangsta' sewing skillz to call on, heh heh!

Coloradolady said...

These are just precious. I love them, the embroidered one is just so sweet. Love the quilts for this Blue Monday Post.

jlshall said...

Your quilts are absolutely wonderful! I would give just about anything to be that talented. My cousin keeps trying to get me to try quilting, but I'm just not that good with a needle. Thanks so much for sharing the photos of your blue creations.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful quilts. It's funny how colors we especially like get priority in crafts, etc. Pink is my color and I find lots of it around me.
I don't know how they did the flames on the blue rocks, but I think it is something like the gas logs we have in our fireplace. There the burners are covered with volcanic ash like stuff. Maybe they just covered theirs with these blue rocks. Whatever, I think it's very pretty.
Charlotte

Grandma Faith said...

Oh my, what wonderful quilts you have made. I am in awe of your skill. My grandmother made wonderful quilts and I wish I had learned how from her. Now, my eyes are old and tired, and I blog away my spare time.

Anonymous said...

You have made so many beautiful things. I could never do any thing like that. All of them are so pretty. Happy Blue Monday!

Jeanne said...

Knitty, Your quilts are amazing in blue. I love them all. Thank you for a very special blue post today.

Hugs...Jeanne

Neabear said...

Thanks for the Blue Monday comment. I love all the blue quilts on your post. My daughter would love the Winnie the Pooh quilts. Hmmm...maybe I should try to make her something like that for her apartment.

Susan Hickam said...

Love your beautiful blue quilts! Thanks for stopping by earlier

Anonymous said...

Hi there
Your quilts are just beautiful. How talented you are!! No wonder your husband wanted to keep that quilt..its just lovely.
You do some by hand and some by machine...fascinating. I wish I could make a quilt like that I so love them.
Thank you for sharing..
have a great evening
Judi

Missy Wertz said...

Love the quilts. Split Rail is my favorite as well. Have a happy 'late' Blue Monday!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I deeply admire anyone who quilts! I took a class in it but never really did anything with it.

You've done such wonderful work. Like Sally said, it is hard to pick a favorite. But the first and second ones and adorable Pooh peek-a-boo blocks I like especially.

The Urban Chic said...

Knitty, just love the quilts, especially the block quilt. Your car rocks. My aunts kitchen is all cobalt blue with yellow lemons and accent pieces and I love the combo. Luv Ya, Pat