Monday, November 10, 2008

Blue Monday again

Time for another installment of Blue Monday hosted by Smiling Sally.

I don't have a theme to today's collection of photos, only blueness unites them. First is my Star Sapphire ring. The ring originally was just the stone set in a plain white gold setting, very plain, but it was very popular when I was 16. This was one of the first pieces of jewelry that led to my lifelong addiction. It was a birthday gift from mom and dad. As the way of teenagers and young adults, I stopped wearing it when it fell out of fashion, but kept it for sentimental reasons. Many years later my mom died and I inherited her wedding rings, but couldn't bear to wear them. A few years afterward I had the two diamonds taken from her rings and set on either side of my stone in a new setting. The "star" is noticeable in bright light (the camera flash in this case), otherwise the ring looks like a plain blue stone. The ring means a lot to me now and I wear it often.
Here is my car, Hermione Henrietta Runabout. She is a Chevy HHR. My husband had the line of stitching and sew needles added to both sides of the car for me. He is a sweetie. The car was originally named Hector, but when he became "the stitch-mobile", the men in my family decided a gender change had occurred and a new name was necessary. Hermione gets a lot of attention and positive comments.
I never have luck when I go to the Salvation Army or similar thrift stores. This may not have been true a few years ago when I was more likely to bring home anything that caught my eye, but I am trying to declutter my life. Trust me, the cabinets and closets remain full, but I am not starting new collections. At least not while my resolve holds. Last week I was in a Home Goods store and did not put dozens of items in my cart that were so cute, but I did come home these mugs and plate. I have two dinner, lunch/salad plates and two bowls that are white with black trim. The black and white cups needed, really needed to join them, especially when they were less than $3. (Did my resolve waver just a bit?) The plate with blue shamrocks and a gold rim was the only one like it or I would have bought more of them. It cost a whole dollar!
And lastly, this magazine cover makes me feel good. Not only does it address my blue addiction, there is my blue and white dish addiction, general china addition, and the touch of yellow makes it absolutely perfect!
Happy Blue Monday everyone!

16 comments:

Mojo said...

Now that's a pretty cool striping job on your Chevy!

ellen b. said...

Your ring is absolutely gorgeous. I'm glad the flash shows the star. So pretty. What a great idea you had to add your mother's diamonds to it...
I love that little blue shamrock plate. Your husband is a real gem for having your car "stitched"
That cover of the Victoria Magazine would call out to me for sure...

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Like all your Blue! That plate would go with the black cups, don't you think? Thanks for stopping by my place. Take Care!!

Sherrie

SmilingSally said...

That ring is super special; no wonder you wear it often. Hermione looks cute with her white stitches. The magazine promises an interview with Jan Karron. She's the author of the Mitford books; I've read every one and think they're great! Happy Blue Monday.

Baba said...

Hi Knitty, I love how you had this beautiful ring made extra special with you mom's diamonds..a dear treasure...I like how the flash from your camera made a sparkle on the blue stone!!! Thanks for sharing..
Hugs, Baba

Your Chevy is too cute!!!

Vylat said...

That was a great idea to combine the stones into a really lovely looking ring. I hope you often wear it. That star really dazzles. Love jewellery almost as much as flowers.

Hesses Madhouse said...

Such fun blue things! I love that you name your car.

Sweetie said...

The ring is lovely. Hermione Henrietta Runabout is unique. How nice of your husband. Happy Blue Monday.
Sweetie

Anonymous said...

Love the blue. The ring is gorgeous. The car is cute. Victoria is my favorite magazine.
Happy Blue Monday
Charlotte

CC said...

I love your blues and your beautiful ring. Happy Blue Monday..:)

Missy Wertz said...

Lovely blue post. The ring, the car and I love Victoria! Those are great SA finds. Happy Blue Monday!

Coloradolady said...

Love your ring. Very pretty. You had some very nice things to show today. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Good evening and look at that beautiful ring! What a cute car and I'm so glad you pointed out the stitching and needle. Too cute!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Neabear said...

Wow! I love your blues. So nice that your hubby did the stitching job on the car. Everything is so pretty! Hope you had a Happy Blue Monday!

Salmagundi said...

I love the shamrock plates in blue - so different from the usual green. The ring is beautiful - I had my mother's rings made into a bracelet and enjoy wearing it, also. Sally

Kim said...

Lovely collection of blue! I was especially drawn to the blue shamrock plate-I would have bought more also!
Thanks for visiting my blog earlier this week--
*smiles*
Kim