Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Baking is Done!

With tomorrow being Thanksgiving here in the USA, many of us might be busy cooking, parade watching or entertaining guests to visit our usual blogs. My sister-in-law will be cooking a delicious meal, but she doesn't bake so I am in charge of desserts. This is never an imposition. My only problem is limiting the number of desserts!

First we have the gathering of ingredients and bakeware.


The rectangular dishes are for a very easy pumpkin cake recipe using canned pumpkin, a yellow cake mix, a can of evaporated milk and a few spices; and for a Paula Deen apple and caramel concoction. The pie plate is for the de rigeur pumpkin pie.

After the pumpkin cake went into the oven I noticed a banana that was too ripe to eat as is, so I baked a loaf of banana bread today too, and threw in some mini chocolate chips in honor of the holiday. Hours later, here are the completed desserts.


Are you wondering what is in the dark pan to the right? Those are pilgrim hats.


This recipe was in a Taste of Home magazine. Tint a small amount of vanilla frosting yellow and use it to hold a miniature peanut butter cup to the bottom of chocolate striped shortbread cookie. The original recipe called for mini Chiclets to use as the buckle on the frosting hatband, but they don't seem to be available anywhere so I used mini M&Ms.

Everything is packed and ready to go tomorrow. Three of the four have to be refrigerated so our refrigerator is very full at the moment.


So full, this bottle of wine had to come out to make way for dessert.

Halfway through the second glass, my face is flushed and the refrigerator was rearranged again to accommodate the bottle's return. I love that wine glass but I'd be better off using it with diet Coke.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and Happy Three or More Thursday!

3 comments:

Nettie said...

Gosh...that's a lot of cooking...hmmm...good idea for making more room in your fridge...Cheers to that! hic hic hic
Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family.
Love Nettie

The Urban Chic said...

Knit, you did a wonderful job and I just love your new blog look. Wish I knew how to do things like that, but still haven't learned. I need to catch up, especially the one about how I got to blogland---Smooch.
I love all your turkeys---I, as you know, love whimsy and now my house is taking on a shop look. I'll be making a Christmas blog as soon as I finish decorating. Happy Late Thanksgiving. Luv Ya, Pat

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Aren't those Pumpkin Dump cakes good! Love the pilgrim cookie & may use that for the grands next year. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Knitty!