Saturday, June 9, 2012

Nap Time!

We have a bed upstairs that the grandson could use when he is here at nap time, but I'm not comfortable with him being upstairs and me/us being down here. I saw a pattern that someone posted on Pinterest for a long, envelope style cover sewn from a cute kid-friendly print and stuffed with pillows to make a sleep mat. Here is the link to those directions.

Being old enough to have experienced many *What! A! Great! Idea!* projects that have fallen flat after time and money has been expended, I decided to go fast, easy and cheap. All those things our mothers told us not too be when we were dating. Hehehe...

Anyway, Colton loves to reach into pillowcases and finger the corners of pillows as he is settling down to sleep. With that in mind, I decided to use premade pillowcases. I would have loved a kid print, but they seem to be sold only in complete sheet sets. I found packages of pillowcase pairs on clearance and bought them. We had three spare pillows at home so I only sewed three of them together.
I zigzagged the long sides with a fairly wide zigzag set at a narrow stitch length. I went over the seams twice.
Somewhat flatter pillows might be more practical, but these are easily removed between nap time visits. The case will be easy to wash. I might spring for satiny pillow protectors to make sliding them in and out even easier.

Yesterday was the big test...would Colton like this?

He took to it right away!

Bears in diapers approve of it too!

He wanted it on the couch, his usual nap place, which started out ok, but proved to be slippery and he landed on the floor, barely waking up. I rearranged the mat and he snuggled back onto it to resume a nice long rest.


Maybe I'll look for a 4th pillow while I'm out checking pillow protectors, then come home and add the fourth pillow case. If I nap on it, rest assured, no photos will be shared here!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh my word, that is a seriously great idea!

And have ever told you that your GS is adorable? I crack up every time I see that picture on your sideboard.I'm giggling right now just thinking about it.

michelle said...

I made a doggy bed out of two pillows once, but not out of pillow cases. I like yours better.

Chatty Crone said...

Your grandson is adorable and that mat is a great idea - sandie

Changes in the wind said...

Everyone should have a Grandma like you:) Great little idea and clearly it is a hit!