Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hopeful new beginnings

Sometimes inspiration comes from unlikely sources. In this case, a novel by Jennifer Chiaverini titled The New Year's Quilt. I've read and enjoyed most of her Elm Creek series but had missed this one when it was first released and am now reading it on my Kindle.

Don't be confused by the book's title. The inspiration isn't about quilting. The inspiration for me came when the main character explains what new year's resolutions mean to her. She believes that a resolution comes after reflection, and once made, is a sign of hopefulness.
Hmmmm, that makes sense, doesn't it? 

If we decide to change something in our life, we don't (or shouldn't) do this on a whim if it is something important. We reflect. We research what will be be the best way to lose weight, save money, which car is best suited to our needs, and so on.

The problem with New Year's Resolutions (capitalized because they seem SO important in early January) is that they are often made half-heartedly. If we drank too much, ate too much, spent too much, we promise ourselves that we are NEVER going to do that again, but if we don't change our actions, we can't expect the outcome to change.

I doubt I will make resolutions on January 1st of next year just because it is a new year. If I do make them, it will be because every day is a new day and a new chance to improve. Resolution is not a dirty, negative word. Thinking of it as hopeful has made it much lighter to carry in my mind and heart as I try to make some changes that are for the better.

I know I've been vague about what it is going on but that has been purposeful. We all have something we'd like to change but think we are doomed to repeating. Certainly change isn't easy, especially if other people are involved, but each one of us is worth the work. Toss out the negative thoughts and concentrate on this moment. To use a catch phrase, don't let your past define your present.

 I am Knitty....hear me roar!
(poor embarrassed pooch!)

No comments: