Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day card, a Sizzix project

I used a Sizzix die to cut the components for this card for Colton to give to his mommy. It wasn't difficult, but it was time consuming. The most time consuming part may have been selecting 12 photos and scaling them down to size.
The card should have been flatter. I don't know if it was the cardstock I used for the pop up inside, or the rubber bands. I weighted this down overnight but to no avail . A ribbon tie helped.
There are three rubber bands inside this pop up. Directions called for #16 rubber bands....whatever they may be....but I used what I had. I'll look for #16 bands the next time I am in an office supply store.
The hands are a recent punch purchase. I think it will get a lot of use.
The pop up holds 12 photos. I used a heavy duty double sided tape to construct the pop up. That part was easy but the tape did make a mess of my scissors which needed cleaning later.
The pop up rotates, thanks to a base held onto the card by a brad. After photos were added, the pop up was attached to the base by double sided tape.

Click here is a link to view this ball on the Sizzix site. The video will show you how the pop up should look when compressed.

I will definitely make this card again, but not for just anyone. It was a bit of work and would be costly to mail. Both of Colton's parents loved it, but who wouldn't with Colton as the subject!  Photobucket

4 comments:

andrea said...

the card is great! would "steal" the idea, but i can't see that much effort flying at card class...:)

Chatty Crone said...

It is hard to believe you made this - that was awesome. sandie

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a card as beautiful as this and it is one that will be cherished forever ♥ Is a special machine needed to make this card? I was thinking of our grandson's graduation. You come up with the most lovely ideas. Thank you. I know you had a wonderful Mother's Day spoiling that little grandson of yours :>)

The Urban Chic said...

Knit, that is the most beautiful card I have ever seen, but looks too complicated for me to try. I've had shaking issues with my meds, so I don't get much done. I did stitched a beautiful card top that will probably be used for Christmas since I used red shiny thread. Colton is adorable and I too as a parent would love a card like that. Hugs, Pat