Sunday, November 8, 2009

Tolerance

Some of who we are happens to us without our input. Our race. Our ethnicity. Our eye color. Those things we can all agree are beyond choice.

Other factors are argued by some to be a choice, such as our sexual orientation. How or even if we believe in a Supreme Being is another hot topic. I am not mentioning these things today to change anyone's mind or to debate any topic. I rarely get into those discussions unless I know someone well. I can respect someone whose convictions are not my own when I know they have given thought to the matter and are neither reciting the popular dogma just to fit into what they perceive as their peer group, nor rejecting it just to be contrary.

I think we are all more alike than many would like to admit. Kindness and acceptance go a long way, no matter what path you follow while here on earth.

Having said this, today I am thankful for tolerance.

5 comments:

♥Mimi♥ said...

I think out of tolerance we grow understanding. Without it the ears close and so does the heart. Lovely post today. Good one for thought.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

It's funny, Knitty, but I have lived in some areas where liberalism and tolerance are emphasized -- and there is no room for anyone of conservative thought, and indeed, it leads to being marginalized or shouted down. I live in a very conservative area now, and it is actually a little bit more mellow, surprisingly.

I think the idea of truly coexisting is wonderful.

LemonyRenee' said...

Thank you, Olde Dame P . . . I have found the same. Actually, I must admit to thinking there is actually too much tolerance going on in some ways, as in giving over our liberties without questioning and feeling inhibited in expressing conservative ideas . . . and, granted, not enough in other ways. It seems we are tolerant of those who want to kill us, but not of those who disagree with us.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

So true, we have more in common than not and we should try to find the good in others regardless of political views. Cindy

Knitty said...

Good points Penniwig and LemonyRenee. I am all for standing up for what you believe in and fighting for a cause, but don't think you have to make personal attacks. It is human nature to bristle when someone is standing on your toes and telling you that your way is wrong.

Fortunately I am of an age and mindset that I seldom let this happen to me or get to me, but I witnessed it recently (over a version of the Bible being "wrong"!)and wanted to slap the mouthy one silly.