Saturday, January 19, 2013

Today I choose happiness

January has been doing its best to beat me up and wear me down.

Back to back colds, internet fraud attempts on credit cards, trouble with Blogger and an email server all had me down and agitated. Then the adult daughter of a couple we know was found dead in her home, cause still unknown. My heart aches for her parents and brother. Someone very dear to me was hospitalized with excruciating pain that seems to have been from a kidney stone. The sister of one of my son's classmates committed suicide. Two relatives have had their mothers pass.

Many years ago we had a January like this. We knew of 13 deaths by the third week of January. I was afraid to wonder "what next?" because good news was in such short supply. I was beginning to think this month was trying to rival that year.

Yesterday, while performing a mundane task, I realized it was a glorious day in my immediate world. By that, I mean the part of the world I can wrap my arms around. My husband, sons, daughter-in-law and grandson. We all have worries, but we have each other and our love is both fierce and gentle.

I don't have an answer to why so many are in physical or emotional pain, or why some resort to violence against others or themselves. I don't think the answer to that exists on this level of our existence.

So what can we do? We can choose to count our blessings. We can choose happiness. Some days we may have to fake it initially but I know that when I smile, by face feels different. That difference registers internally. If I smile and say hello to a stranger, they usually return the same, sometimes in surprise. It is the simplest and least expensive Random Act of Kindness that we can share. I hope sharing this video will make you smile.



 photo smilebeforepeace_zps204225a9.png

6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I've seen that and it sooooooooooooo cute - I loved it.

And you are right - we some days have to choose to be happy or sad. I think you have it right. Not always easy though.

Have a good weekend.

Southhamsdarling said...

Oh my goodness Knitty! What an awful time you have been having, with all that sadness all around. I think you are right - we must try to choose happiness, and just try to provide as much love as we can in our own little corner of the world.

Rudee said...

THe video was awesome. I'm glad I stuck with it, because it seemed a little sappy at the start.

I'm sorry for all of the extraordinary things you've been dealing with lately.

Blondie's Journal said...

You really have been going through a challenging time, Knitty. You can lie down or pick yourself up and I think you are back on your feet with a good perspective. Keep it up!

What a priceless video. I enjoyed every bit of it! Thanks for putting a smile on my face as you usually do!

XO,
Jane

Unknown said...

It has been quite a month for you! There is no better feeling than counting your immediate blessings. Hugs to you and your family.

Sewconsult said...

What a great memory that they will both have! Hugs to you today. I, also, choose to be happy. I know that the past year prepared me for the loss of my mother. I have no regrets. I spent more time with her than ever, since my childhood. I soaked up her love and the things that she could share with me.
Beckie