Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Socks, Boxy Cosmetic bags and maybe a Shaving Kit

Two long time friends and I go out to dinner or lunch once per month to keep in touch with each other's lives. One's name begins with a T, one with an L and mine begins with a C, so our group is TLC. Usually at Christmas, we include a play, concert, or special destination to our dinner date. This year was only dinner, but a marvelous dinner it was. We exchange gifts after our meal. This year, I made each of them socks and presented them inside a "boxy cosmetic bag" that was also handmade.
I prefer to knit socks on two circular needles, from the toe up. My favorite basic sock pattern is from Wendy Johnson's book, Socks From the Toe Up (shown here on Amazon). The green socks above used Berroco Sox Metallic 1364, a color called Kiwi.
These socks were knit using Ty-Dy Sock yarn, color #1520 called Arizona, from Knit One Crochet Too. I did a little lace work in three columns on this pair from the toe up into the ribbing. I didn't think to try to photograph that before packaging the socks, but that accounts for the difference in appearance.
I saw this on Pinterest and used Made by Marzipan for my directions. Many tutorials and videos are available if you search for "boxy cosmetic bags". This fully lined bag was easy to assemble with the only hand sewing being closing up a few inches of the lining that had been left open for turning the project right side out.

When they were finished, I excitedly showed my husband who looked at them and cautiously asked whey I was making shaving kits. I had to laugh...yes, they do like shaving kits and would make a great gift for men in a suitable fabric. Using vinyl for the lining would make them even more like a traditional kit.

No comments: