Monday, August 13, 2012

Home again!

Sometimes a benefit of going away is coming home and appreciating your own bed and getting back into comfortable routines. Usually this is felt after a vacation of some length. Our cottage is close enough, and we go there often enough, that this isn't usually felt upon our return. After three days of rain and comparatively cool temperatures though, I was glad to get home yesterday.

I say comparatively cool temps because it has been such a hot summer. Highs in the 70s with overcast skies (between hard rain storms) felt downright chilly at times. Heck, highs in the 70s isn't normal for us in August in a normal year. But what is normal anyway, right?

With all the cloud cover we'd had, it didn't occur to me to step outside Saturday night and look up at the sky. Thank goodness we have good neighbors. One of them waved his flashlight back and forth across our windows to get out attention. The clouds had parted and we watched the Perseid meteor shower. I tried to get photos but neither my camera nor my skills were good enough. The link has some wonderful shots.

Even without the meteors, the sky was beautiful. Stars, a surprising number of planes (or were they UFOs?) and lightning bugs kept us entertained as we stood around looking up until our necks ached. I thought about going in to grab towels or cushions for the deck chairs but I was afraid I'd miss something.

So what did I do to prevent stir craziness while hubby watched cheesy movies? I read John Grisham's The Confession and knitted a vest for Colton.  He's all set for a business casual situation, should one arise.
The pattern is in the Fall 2012 issue of Knit Simple magazine. I used Plymouth brand Encore yarns for most of the vest to keep it kid friendly, meaning machine washable and dry-able.

Today, August 13, is Left Hander's Day.  I am not one, but am all for a celebration so I raise my coffee cup and toast those who are.

Left Handed Facts and Trivia:
  • Sinistrophobia is the fear of left-handedness or things on the left side.
  • While many people are left handed, very few are 100% left handed. For example, many Left handers golf and bat right handed. On the other hand, there is a high percentage of righties who are 100% right-handed.
  • Lefties are also called "southpaws". The term was coined in baseball to describe a left handed pitcher.
  • Tuesdays are Lefties luck day.
  • Only about 10% of the population is left handed.
  • During the 1600's people, thought left handers were witches and warlocks.
  • International Left Hander's Day was first celebrated on August 13, 1976. It was started by Lefthander's International.
  • They say everyone was born right handed, and only the greatest overcome it. (he,he,he)
  • It is believed that all polar bears are left handed.
  • There is a rumor that octopuses have but one right hand. Scientists are diligently studying this issue.
Anyone wondering how many tax dollars might be going to the study of that octopus issue? 

2 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm a leftie!!! Very interesting stuff! :)

We've had this gloomy, maybe it is going to rain sort of weather, too. And the temps have been great. I wish the humidity would go away. But this is good enough! Glad you are rested and at home. Nothing beats your own bed!

XO,
Jane

Southhamsdarling said...

Interesting facts about left-handers there, Knitty. I just love that little top that you have knitted for Colton, and I know that he is going to look SO cute in it. Hopefully we will get to see a photo when he is wearing it.