Thursday, March 1, 2012

No comment....

In a few more days I should be back to using my *real* computer. This iPad is a great toy and a great portable convenience, but I miss my *real* computer with all the functions that I am accustomed to using.

I don't usually tell people what to do (my sons are snickering and my husband is rolling his eyes...feel free to ignore them) but today I am joining other bloggers who have written about word verification and asking others to consider turning theirs off. Between Blogger changing to two words, the font for those words becoming more difficult to read and iPad autocorrecting, I haven't been able to easily leave comments.

Blogger has gotten better about catching spam. Unless you receive a huge number of comments daily and don't read them all but want spam blocked, consider turning word verification off and see how it goes, or reset it to be used on comments to posts that are X number of days or weeks old.

Most of us see our blogs as we type them on our preferred devices. A blogger with a wide monitor may not realize that their background graphics are barely seen (or not at all) on a small screen. That isn't crucial or inconvenient though.

Changing a background color and not adjusting font colors for post titles and comments makes your blog less user friendly. One blog this morning used a shade of pink that was too light for the background oatmeal color. The words for comments and post title were nearly impossible to see. The blog author might not catch this because you aren't looking for these sections the way your reader might. It is like proof reading your own work. Your mind tells you what should be there and prevents your eyes from seeing things accurately.

I still don't know if it is Blogger or Apple that makes some blogs initially appear in a script font that is difficult to read. When it doesn't correct itself, I can usually close and re-open a blog and the blogger's normal font appears. Usually, but not always. Anyone else experiencing that?

I had a comment ready to post this morning until the two word verifications came up. The first word was Operagem. iPad didn't like that at all and kept trying to make two worlds out of it. I finally got that entered and moved on to the second nonsense word but the font was so messy, complete with a line through it, I guessed the wrong letters and had to start over with two new words. Same problem again. After that try, I left.

No one has to do as I say (except for my snickering sons and my eyeball rolling husband), but we should all try to read and reply to our blogs as others once in a while, especially after making changes.

Now that I've addressed this issue, I think I'll go tackle something easier...like cleaning up politics!

6 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Since you were so lovely about my request and the blinkies that distracted my poor addled brain I will happily do this for you. :D

But the first penis enlargement offer and it goes back on. Deal?

Sewconsult said...

I'm on an iMac in my sewing room. That's where I do my blog posting. I get so frustrating when the font won't be consistent through out the post. I just gave up and published anyway the other night. So frustrating.
Then the "secret words" are almost unreadable at times. One day, I tried 3 times with new ones, but could never figure out what to type. GRRR!
Beckie

Chatty Crone said...

I agree with you 100% - I really - after a couple times - just go on. It is too hard. Love, sandie

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree using the I pad is difficult because of the correcting. I become frustrated and don't post. I have also had problems with blogger. Two of my posts were automatically published before I was finished with them. I have to review my settings. Thanks for the tips.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree using the I pad is difficult because of the correcting. I become frustrated and don't post. I have also had problems with blogger. Two of my posts were automatically published before I was finished with them. I have to review my settings. Thanks for the tips.

Rudee said...

I almost gave up posting a comment on someone's blog today. It took me 4 attempts to, 'prove I'm not a robot.'

Bah!