Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Are you feeling fashionable?

I like clothes, shoes and accessories but I don't know that I have been fashionable for years, if ever. If I had worried about this, I probably would have more gray hair than I have now and surely would be covering up those grays because a stylist said I should.

According to someone on one national morning show, floral pants are big and everyone can and should be wearing them. I think you should wear whatever you like but really, if you want my opinion, not every thing works on every body. Let's start with the first pair of models in this clip:

Personally, I think the bold print and tight cut makes the first model look larger than she probably is. Since appearing heavier isn't something most of us are aiming for, I think a straight cut fabric in slacks rather than leggings and perhaps not such a high contrast print would be more flattering. I think the slimmer model looks ok for schlepping around home but don't find her top and cardigan all that flattering.

The next pair of models in the clip are wearing tribal prints. I wonder if the large floral print on the first model would look better in sheer, flowing palazzo pants. Sheer fabric tones down the contrast of colors and a loose cut wouldn't be hugging her thighs.

Is there anything wrong with her wearing the first pair of pants? Of course not! While I am airing my opinions here, I would never presume to tell anyone what to wear. That is precisely what bugs me about most fashion segments on TV. A woman who has never been over a size 4, or one who has never been under a size 14 aren't likely to understand the feelings and fit problems of women in other size ranges. Same thing with clothing budgets. When someone says a top is only $249 and such an investment, I wonder if they're just saying what they are paid to say or have they never had to juggle mortgage, orthodontia, and car payments along with utilities, keeping the car fueled and oh yeah....groceries.

Will I be wearing floral pants this season? Probably not, but I do have two floral dresses that make me feel good. Half of carrying off a look is how you see yourself. If you think you look good, you send out a vibe that others pick up on that is positive. I wear makeup and jewelry every day because I like how I feel wearing them. It isn't for the public, I do this even if I don't leave the house.

Another morning show discussed the return of jumpsuits. Oh boy! {said sarcastically}
Who is old enough to remember them from the 70s? I had some and loved them. I also loved hip huggers and bodysuits. Remember bodysuits with snap crotches for when nature called?
The closest thing I've tried to a bodysuit in recent years was Spanx. They didn't have a snap crotch, they had a cross over opening. Getting them on came close to killing me. Read about that Here.

Even without extra weight on my frame, I think I am too old for anything resembling a bodysuit or a jumpsuit. It isn't about my chronological age or silly rules like not having long hair past a certain age or wearing white after Labor Day. It is about practical issues. When I have to go, I have to GO....if you know what I mean. I'm not in need of pills or disposable protection, but the mechanics of bodysuits or jumpsuits might cause an embarrassing situation. At the very least, either would give me uncomfortable, worrisome moments.

Some things are best left to the young or in my past. Even if I can't wear a jumpsuit, I can still strike this pose (I believe I was saying Ta-Dah for some reason, circa 1976) and this very pose could be helpful to any of you who need someone to hold the ladies' room door(s) open in your hurry to unbutton and unsnap your way to urgent relief.
It is time for me to wrap this up and go make a $249 investment in groceries and gas. Aren't those prices getting depressing? I need to comb my hair before I go. I already have makeup and jewelry on as mentioned above, but for the public I need one more thing. Clothes! No wonder I was getting chilly sitting here typing! My refusal to wear bodysuits or jumpsuits had me sitting here....oh never mind.
Anyone want me to pick up some bleach while I'm out to wash that image out of your mind?

6 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Fun post! I remember those tops that snapped at the crotch. My mom bought me two for Christmas one year and I was appalled! I wore them but didn't snap them. And don't get me started on Spanx! My best and worst friend.

XO,
Jane

Unknown said...

Oh my! I'm no fashion guru, so I think I will stick to my jeans and modest tops. They seem to work best for me :) Take Care!

Jaci

SkippyMom said...

Gee Knitty. That's shiny. giggle Wow. I remember the body suits too and the snap crotches. What didn't we wear? And they say the 80's were bad - I looked like an explosion in the 70's in third grade. It pains me to look at the pics. My father told me for many years I had ugly clothes. I used to tell him "Well Mom thinks they're fashionable." She would put me in anything that she couldn't wear [which was just about all of it] and wow. Just wow.

I had pantsuits too - but none that shiny. Come to think of it I have a picture of Pooldad in one from the 70s when he was going out dancing. I think platform shoes are involved. :shudder:

Chatty Crone said...

Cute post - and if I was 6 inches taller and 50 pounds lighter I would or could wear anything. For now I stick to black - lol. sandie

Debbie said...

I saw some of those snap crotch looking body suits while shopping with my 20 year old over spring break. I told her that we used to wear them with our hip huggers.

I actually love a cute pair of floral capris, but I don't look good in them so I don't wear them.

Jump suit? Um. No.

And I agree about the gas and groceries. Things are horrible out there. Has anyone noticed?

Sewconsult said...

Goodness, how did I miss this post? Must have been when I was on the couch with my migraine. I got a real kick out of it. The only pair of pants that I liked was the loose fitting ones. I wore some really stylish pantsuits in my college yrs (68-72), but never a jumpsuit. I made all my clothes, including wool suits. Does anyone in the South wear wool any more? Yes, to the body-shirt. Hated those dang snap crotches. Someone (me) with a small bladder should NEVER wear such. BTW, genes gave me such big legs that as a 6th grader, I wondered if I had "elepantitis" that we studied about in Health class. (caused by some vitamin deficiency).
Beckie