Saturday, February 25, 2012

Spoiled by my everyday life

Recently I had to wash dishes by hand for a week. Not the end of the world by any means, but a reminder of how I take a functioning dishwasher for granted.

Last week, while watching TV in a hotel room, I found myself reaching for the remote to "rewind" and replay a bit of dialog I hadn't heard well. Oops! Can't do that on this cable system.

While away from home I needed to refill a prescription. Just like back home, Walgreens were on every third corner so there would be no problem finding a store to handle my refill. Well, there was a slight problem...at home my user name and password is saved on my PC. After a few unsuccessful guesses, I had Walgreens email me the info so I could proceed.

Determined to travel with lighter necessities, I've been using my iPad rather than our laptop. Besides the problems I've discussed lately (and thanks to Blogsy and Opera Mini, I am functioning with more ease), I am frustrated over personal photos. At home I use software to crop and resize photos, or I use Photobucket. I sent photos to Photobucket from my iPhone (don't you love technology?!!) but I can't resize them from my iPad without downloading something else.

When I was first married, dishes were always washed by hand, TV channels were changed by walking over to the dial and turning it (and you needed to be quiet and pay attention to dialog), the pharmacist was known by her first name in a single unit drug store, and the thought of traveling with phones, tablets and e-readers would have been laughed at. Beam me up, Scotty!

I've had a wonderful time being in warm climates twice this winter, exercising my patience and stretching resourcefulness to find ways around my problems, and thankful for the reminder that my everyday conveniences are handy luxuries.

Life is good.

(Especially when everything works!)

2 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You are at a very peaceful - ah ha place today! Love it, sandie

Blondie's Journal said...

I didn't have a dishwasher for the longest time and when I finally got one, I found I liked the instant gratification washing by hand gave me! But I have had a lot of guilt when I do laundry, which I despise...I think of those washboards of yesteryear and I know how easy I have it.

Enjoy your time in the sun! :)

XO,
Jane