Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cards by yours truly

I seem to be falling behind again as I get ready for another few weeks of out of the ordinary busy-ness. We have another birthday on Friday, a wedding to attend on Saturday, a bridal shower, my grandson's birthday, my son (his daddy) has a birthday the following day, a few dinner dates with out of towners and of course, the regular old stuff that is supposed to get done. Whew!

I've been in a hurry up and wait mode. The dishwasher part hasn't arrived yet, nor has the toy ordered for Colton's birthday. Fabric just came for his bedroom windows, a sock monkey print that will become valances to coordinate with his new bedding and newly painted walls. The rest of the yarn for the never ending afghan is expected within a day or two.

When it gets hectic like this, I like to make simple jewelry or cards because they can be done in relatively little time and I can see a finished project. Not instant gratification, but quicker than the other ones.

This is the Valentine card I made for Colton who loves (make the LOVES) Kipper the dog. Kipper is shown on Sprout TV, a PBS affiliate. The Kipper series is made in England and I must admit, I like him too. I found an image of Kipper online holding a banner with his own name on it. I drew the image and inserted Colton's name in the banner. He recognizes the letters of his name so hopefully he is enjoying this.
His parents and his Uncle Billy each received this card. I stole the idea from a sample at a scrapbooking store. The eye chart was worded slightly differently and was done with a purchased stamp. They were out of the stamp so I created the chart in word, printed two of them and attached a red glass heart in place of the word "love".
(In case you were here earlier and noticed a change, I've deleted two lines about camera issues here and the inability to post more pictures. I think I have the problem fixed...until the next time....you know how that goes!)

This is for an upcoming bridal shower:
The inside sentiment was done with a stamp
This is the grandson's birthday card. His mommy is having a circus theme for his party.
 

And while this has nothing to do with cards, here is the Funky Monkey fabric by Moda that will become window valances. The squares are 2 inches. As busy as it looks here, this is going to be perfect on his new blue walls and coordinates with his sock monkey bedding.
 I may have to look for a blue hat like that lovely lady in the second column is wearing. I hate it when a sock monkey is more stylish than me, don't you?


4 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Really neat cards. I just saw Sprout TV the other day [when we stayed at the hotel] and it looks like a lot of fun for the little ones. I admit I did watch some.

The sock monkey room is going to be adorable. :) I hope you post a pic' or two.

Happy Birthday to the whole crew! Whew. Busy weekend for you.

Sewconsult said...

You did so well! Loved the eye chart card. That sock monkey fabric is hilarious. It's amazing that such an old character, like sock monkey, has made such a hit with the present generation. My great aunt made me a sock monkey back in the early 50's.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Retired Knitter said...

Wonderful card. So cute.

We all have our hobbies that we turn to when we need some "me" time. Mine is knitting. No, I don't finish anything quickly, but the act of knitting settles me.

Thanks for sharing.
RetiredKnitter-Elaine

Debbie said...

It must be a sign that I'm in a serious "tweener" time of life. I don't have little children, and I don't have any grandchildren so I don't even know Kipper and Sprout TV.

Lovin' the cards you made! The one that looks like the eye chart is my favorite. It took me a minute to figure it out.

And I'll go ahead and admit that sock monkeys generally look better than me. I'm short on style. Oh sigh...