Monday, May 11, 2009

Tea for you and your dolly, anyone?


Today is Blue Monday (visit Smiling Sally by clicking on the Blue Jay logo on the right to see what Blue Monday is all about and who else is participating) and for this week's Blue post, I am inviting everyone and their dolly to join me for tea.

I don't know how old I was when I received this tea set, but I remember playing with it as a little girl. I am now 56 (but don't tell anyone) and marvel that the set has survived this long. One plate has a chipped edge and the oval platter was dropped as a child and broke into three pieces. My Sweet William (aka my hubby) had me soak the platter in hot water to dissolve the yucky brown glue from decades ago and pieced the platter back together last night. I'm not showing a close up of the platter because he has more work to do on it, removing the excess glue tonight.

Here are photos of the service sitting on a napkin so that you can judge the size.


The service is china and was made in Japan.


Dress your doll or your favorite stuffed animal in their fancy duds and come join me for a cup of tea.

Happy Blue Monday everyone, and thanks for the visit.

21 comments:

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Wonderful tea set! The little girls might really enjoy that, but I know some big girls who would love it too! Have a wonderful Blue Monday.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Knitty,
Oh, I LOVE your little tea set! It is precious! I'm so glad you still have it. So, they call Red Wings fans, 'wing nuts,' eh? I'll have to let Hubby know that. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Blue Monday.

Blessings,
Sandi

SmilingSally said...

How precious--both the set and the memories. Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.

Candy said...

What a lovely set and such a sweetie pie hubby to play Mr. Fix-it!
I'll dress a Teddy and be right over.

Happy BLUE skies,
Candy

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Knitty,
That is so cool! My mom had those dishes only big! What great memories! The quilt is a wallhanging that my MIL made for me! She is quite a talented quilter. Thanks for stopping, Cindy

Becky K. said...

Amazing!

I love that your husband is helping you to restore a piece.
That is just so awesome!

Cindy said...

I love tea sets. I got one when I was a little girl and just now remember it. Thank you.
Cindy

Barb said...

Hi Knitty, your tea set is so lovely.

Happy Blue Monday.

Barb

Joyce said...

I collect tea pots and all sorts of tea sets and tea items and I am a fun time looking at your little tea set. I have tea sets since I was a child also and I hope your tea set brings back fun memories for you.
joyce

Mary Bergfeld said...

How very beautiful! I love that tea set. I'll bet it's terrific to have a husband who can help with restoration.

Unknown said...

Oh, what a lovely doll tea set. I am a big girl that still loves a mini tea set.

ellen b. said...

Oh my Knitty! What a fabulous tea set! Love it...
Happy Blue to you!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Oh I love your little tea set! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day! Happy Blue Monday ~ Susan

Unknown said...

That is a GREAT tea set, Knitty! You don't see kids sets like that anymore.

Anonymous said...

How fun to have such a complete set. I have about three pieces of one and treasure them.

Kathy b

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Lovely china

Blondie's Journal said...

Knitty,

Your tea set is so pretty and so much nicer than anything I had as a child! You are so lucky to still have it and I hope you get the platter back together.

I used to buy my girls tea sets almost every Christmas to replace pieces they lost or broke. I was almost insane about them having tea sets because they were my favorite thing when I was little~that and my Easy~Bake Oven!!

xoxo
Jane

Fifi Flowers said...

Pretty dishes... FUN tea party set up!

From the Old InkWell said...

Just love this set - charming.

Thanks for coming by my place and taking the time to leave a nice comment.

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

that is precious teaset! oh my gosh.. so beautifully blue! happy blue monday

Terry said...

Happy Blue Monday .
What a sweet post.
Thank you so very much for sharing your beautiful memories and those awesome photos of your beautiful Tea Set.I just love going to Tea Parties .So thank you for the invitation.I have had a truly delightful time and hope to visit again very soon.
Have a blessed week.