Sunday, May 31, 2009

I'll beat this pattern if it is the last thing I do!

I am knitting a summer top. For me. That doesn't happen often.

The top is simple. Or so I thought.

I have knit much more complex patterns but this one is kicking me when I am down and not looking. I hate that! The pattern is from a knitting magazine published 7 years ago. I am not showing you the pattern yet. I don't want to hear from anyone who knit three of these tops over a long weekend.

I fell in love with this yarn, Sirdar's Baby Bamboo. It is made of 80% bamboo, 20% wool. It feels luscious. It is the most money I have spent on yarn for a summer top for myself. That adds to my determination to get this dang stupid lovely garment done.

This is the color I am using, Scooter Blue.

The problem is the way the directions are written. (Surely the problem can't be me!) For those who don't knit, I'll use a recipe analogy. A well written recipe would be written in this order:
  • Cream butter and sugar
  • Add vanilla
  • Beat in eggs, one at a time
  • Mix in dry ingredients
  • Pour batter into pans what have been greased and floured
  • Bake at 350* for 30 minutes
If the author of this pattern were to write the same recipe, it would read:
  • Cream butter and sugar
  • Mix in dry ingredients
  • Pour into pans
  • Add vanilla to cream and sugar
  • Bake at 350*
  • Grease pans
  • Add eggs with dry ingredients
  • Flour greased pans
  • Do you want to know how long to bake this? Well I am not telling you! You should know how long to bake things by now? What are you, a novice? Novice knitter-bakers have no business buying magazines and looking all smart and savvy!
Last week I took out 114 rows out of the 124 I had knit. I resumed from row 10 while on our trip to South Carolina. Yesterday I took out 32 rows. When this top is done, I may wear it daily for a week or two, just to celebrate!

1 comment:

Judi said...

Oh dear. I know what you mean. I can feel your frustration and you are doing such a great job...and you have to undo it? *sigh*. Can you write to that author and ask her to explain in plain English what she means?...or could you go to a knitting store and ask them?
You deserve to wear that for a long time once its done...I hope you don't get sick of it.
it was so nice to have you visit me.
Judi