Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Blue Met Monday


Today I am participating for the first time in Metamorphosis Monday, hosted by Susan at Between Naps On The Porch. Click on the butterfly to check out her blog and find other participants.

This post also qualifies as Blue Monday post. Blue Monday is hosted by Smiling Sally. Click on the bluejay to visit her blog and find more Blue Monday posts.


I had a painting hanging in my upstairs bathroom until early December when I decided it looked better in the family room. For the month of the December, a Christmas greeting hung on the nail where the painting had been.

I have so many snowmen in my collection, I now wait until January to display them. A small wall quilt was the next item to hang on the bathroom's nail.

Snow is done as far as I am concerned (here that Mother Nature?) so I packed the quilt away with the snowmen figures.

I stared at that bare nail for a week. (Met Monday posters, imagine a photo of a white wall with a nail in it to serve as the before picture )

This was not good.

I don't know what should or will take permanent residence in that spot, but until then, SOMETHING had to hang from that nail. One of my internet buddies had shared a project and a link to instructions. Here is the link to The Tom Girls who are having a lot of creative fun with canvas.

Here is my project. It was easy and inexpensive. I bought three 5x7 canvases on sale at a craft store. I painted them white with acrylic paint. Originally I was going to use the tropical fish photos shown here , but I decided those colors were too vivid for the look I wanted. I chose three abstracts instead and printed them on glossy paper.

Using a foam brush, I painted a coat of Mod Podge on the dry canvases, and a coat on the back of the photos. Position the photos on the canvas and press to assure good contact. I did this one at a time as the photos want to curl a bit when you apply the Mod Podge.

I finished the sides of the canvas with ribbon held in place with photo tape from my scrapbooking supplies. The wider ribbon is doubled over a D-ring. I stitched the ribbon under the ring before stapling the canvases to the ribbon.

Ta-da! Done! Easy and inexpensive!



When I find or paint the perfect piece of art for this space, this wall hanging will move into a spare bedroom. That lonely bathroom nail has a purpose in life again, and I am happy.

17 comments:

susan said...

I am SO impressed! The colors are perfect and this should be it's permanent home!

santamaker said...

What a great idea and perfect for you room! Love the ribbon behind it!

SmilingSally said...

The blues make it! Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I have an empty wall in my bathroom that needs filled up... I might try this!

Scribbler said...

Nice idea -- you can use this on Tuesday Threes! I like the shower curtain -- pretty colors.

Scribbler

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! I am trying to figure out a wall in my family room and have a couple of spots that need something -- I might experiment with this. Thanks for sharing!

Missy Wertz said...

They look great! Happy Blue Monday!

Nancy said...

Very nice job! They look great. :)Nancy

Anonymous said...

This looks great! Very watery looking! Just perfect!
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

That is quite creative! Great blue Monday post! Cindy

Unknown said...

I am very impressed! The artwork is beautiful and you put it together with a great attention to detail.

ellen b. said...

Oh don't you just love it when a nail has purpose!! :0)
This art is so vibrant and pretty. I like the ribbon connecting the pieces too. Well done!!

Elaine said...

What a great idea and it obviously turned out so well. I definitely need to store this idea for the future!
Elaine :)

Chandy said...

Lovely choice for today's Met Monday! Sorry for the late visit; too many errands...

Carolyn of What Now? Tablescapes

Unknown said...

I love it, what a great idea. Those abstracts are a colorful addition to your room.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Very creative! It looks fabulous in that spot.
Cass

Nicole ~ said...

Thanks for stopping by & leaving me a little note. Bentley would love it if a little milk bone was left for him...

I love your project, it looks really good. I just love Mod Podge, it works wonders.