Friday, October 14, 2011

Knitting with a web like yarn

How did it get to be Friday again so soon? 
I think time passing too quickly in our adult years is payback for complaining as a child that there is nothing to do, that we don't want to go bed yet, and thinking Christmas, Halloween or our birthdays will never get here. Judging by my fleet footed clock, I must have complained a lot as a child!

So what have I done the past few days that have been fun?

I painted a chipboard casket, added a Martha Stewart skeleton and a sign.
This will look good next to a plate of Halloween cupcakes, cookies and candy, don't you think?

The knitting mystery project at the yarn store where I hang out is almost done. It is another small shawl. Photos will show up here as soon as I finish. I got distracted by some fun yarn which is the real subject of today's post.

The yarn is Filatura Di Crosa Moda. Quite a mouthful, eh? It is acrylic and looks like this in the skein:
and like this when you spread out the strand. The denser part at the bottom in this photo will remain the loose edge and knitting will take place in the top openings.
Casting on isn't really done, you just pick up as many loops as you need.
 
Knitting felt a little awkward at first, but soon that feeling was gone and it was fun to watch the rapid progress. This project is a scarf and worked on only 4 stitches. 
 
It doesn't look like much in these photos, but trust me, it is a fun accessory when complete and worn rather than laying flat. This photo is a good representation of the color wave I am using  and the next photo gives you an idea of how it will look hanging.
Here is a view of the finished scarf from the yarn's website. As you can see, it is offered in solid colors as well as the tonal blends and multi-colors. I prefer the multi-tones but if I was thin, blond and could master this expression, I'd wear it in solid brown too.

Just what is her expression saying?

"What are you looking at?"
"Of course my hair color is natural, you wicked doubter!"
"These shoes are giving me a headache and they aren't even in the %$#* photo!"
"Do you think I'm beginning to look like that Martha Stewart skeleton?"

I am going to buy the poor dear a Big Mac combo and some fuzzy slippers as soon as both knitting projects are done. I hope she lasts that long!
















4 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness - love the skeleton - my diet is killing me too - but the opposite reason.

And I love that new scarf pattern - very different.

sandie

Southhamsdarling said...

Like Chatty - I love that scarf. I so agree with you about time passing far too quickly. I don't like it! That chipboard casket and skeleton are really cool. Have a lovely weekend.

Sewconsult said...

Love the scarf. I need to alert my knitty daughter of that yarn. I wish I had the problem of being like a skeleton. Kept wondering why my scales are showing results. Dang Fibromyalgia med is counteracting every bite I miss.
Beckie

Unknown said...

Love the scarf. I am trying to find the yarn (Filatura Di Crosa Moda). May I ask where you bought it? A woman in my mother's assisted living is looking for the same thing. Hope you can help. Nancy