Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sun, sand and superjets

I like vacations.

I like airplanes.

I don't like airplanes right over my head on vacation.
This is Maho Beach in St Maarten. Princess Juliana International Airport is across the street from the beach.


People are actually drawn to the beach because of the airport's location. Here is a posted warning sign and a clip of a take off.


The following quote is from a website about vacation ideas:

Best Time to Visit Maho Beach

If it’s the thrill of landing planes you want (you should, this type of thrill is not offered by any other beach), then the best time to visit Maho Beach is during the weekends. Air traffic is the highest on Saturdays and Sundays with its peak being in early afternoon hours. If you can time your visit to Maho Beach to 1pm – 4pm on a Sunday afternoon, you will see one plane landing after another.
 Is this your idea of fun? The noise alone would bother me.
I guess I will stick to the cottage again this year where I can nap, read or knit on the deck in quiet and the most that might fall on me will be a critique from an opinionated bird. 
Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw this beach on a travel show yesterday! I can't believe it!

Sounds amazingly peaceful staying at a cottage. I must say that your idea of a vacation sounds perfect. I don't understand those people who like loud, boisterous vacations, but hey, just one girl's opinion.