Sunday, April 24, 2011

Click here for a card from me to all of you:  Happy Easter!

Have you done anything unusual in food prep this weekend? I did. I used Kool Aid to dye hard boiled eggs. Just last week I discovered some packets of Kool Aid that I bought so long ago, I don't remember buying them. While wondering if Kool Aid goes bad, I left them alone and by pure chance, found a blog about dyeing eggs with Kool Aid here.

The blog author was correct in stating that lemonade alone didn't color the eggs at all. I didn't doubt her, I just decided to use up all the flavors I had in the house. The egg marked TP was dyed in Tropical Punch which didn't look much different than strawberry (S). Strawberry-Kiwi (SK) was pretty, but pale in comparison as was Green Apple (GA). Berry Blue (BB) was my favorite and the differences in intensity relate to how long I left the egg in the cup. The egg labeled "Yuck!" was an experiment of all the colors I had on hand. The one to the left of it didn't fare much better.
Will I do this again? Probably not, but the fact that it didn't require boiling water or vinegar would make it a kid friendly project. The downside would be the Kool-Aid color staining little hands, clothing and the inevitable spills in the kitchen.

Some day I will tell Colton that mommies and grandmas long ago used beets and onion skins to color hard boiled eggs because that is what they had available before Paas made colored tablets and sold them every spring. Then I will show him this picture, explain I used what I had on hand, and then we'll go to the store to pick up a package of Paas.

Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I did read a blog about a mom who died eggs with red onion skins, blueberries, beets, etc. I'm going to have to give it a try, maybe next year?!

Happy Easter!