Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Some people make Politician a dirty word

This isn't about any one political party.

This is about anyone who supposedly represents the public yet behaves in a way that is an embarrassment to humanity.

Detroit politics have been ugly and riddled with corruption for decades. I am not saying everyone has been dirty, but there has been enough dirt to taint everyone's image. You may recall hearing that Detroit's previous mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, resigned and accepted a plea bargain, serving a short time in jail for two counts of obstruction of justice.

The woman in this video is Monica Conyers, a member of Detroit city council. The first part of the video has her verbally attacking Ken Cockerel, president of the council. Note her maturity as she yells at Cockerel. Photobucket It doesn't get any better when she "debates" an 8th grader. That part runs at 2:40 in the video. I don't think the woman hears anyone but herself.


The man moderating the debate, Sam Riddle, is a political consultant who was Monica Conyer's aide (do all council members have aides?) Both Riddle and Conyers will likely be brought up on charges of accepting a bribe in the Synagro Sludge Scandal which gave Synagro a $47 million per year contract to recycle sludge. This wouldn't be newsworthy for me. Conyer's reaction is. Unfortunately there isn't a video clip available yet of Conyers comments on her public access TV show. While not addressing the FBI investigation directly, she began by reminding everyone that she is a child of God. The following is a direct quote: “All these things that are going on right now … I believe in my heart that God will deliver me from them. And so I say to all of the people out there: If you’re not praying for me, then you’re just adding to the problem.”

I am adding to her problem. I am not praying for what she would like me to pray for.

Aren't we all tired of politicians who think they are greater than those they represent? And aren't we all tired of those who invoke God's name as a free pass to excuse everything from illegal activities to inexcusable behavior?

I wish I had a light or funny way to end this, but I think levity will have to wait until the next post. Every once in a while I need to be serious.

3 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Wow. She is arrogant.

andrea said...

i - as a christian - find it disgusting that these people use God the way they do. i know that my God is a gracious and loving God, and that He would never think of turning his back on someone in need...but I find it hard to believe that He doesn't get just the littlest bit "irked" at these Detroit politicians who think it's okay to call upon Him and use Him as their backbone after they have so blatently and knowingly committed a wrongdoing. they should be downright ASHAMED at themselves...and i'm sorry, but i WILL NOT be praying for Monica Conyers...but i WILL be praying that justice is served to all that continue to corrupt Detroit and give it it's bad name.

Blondie's Journal said...

She is something else...

Of course, in Chicago, we know nothing of corruption...

xoxo
Jane