Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How can it be Wednesday already?

Remember being a kid on December 20th and thinking that Christmas was never going to get here? Or the last week of school when summer vacation was never going to begin? Now I sit wondering how the heck it got to be Wednesday already when it should only be Friday of last week! There had to be a week, a day, or at least a moment when time progressed at a normal speed, right? Did we all sleep through it? Time really does fly, doesn't it?
Maybe the speed of each passing day is what makes the words and deeds of children who aren't yet concerned with clocks or calendars, so special.

I wish I had a picture of this cutie patootie in his bicycle helmet to go with my story. This is Josh, one of my sister-in-law's 4 year old grandsons. He was in her yard on Sunday where the adults were working and everyone would soon be eating. He and his sister stripped the rose bush of petals. They weren't being destructive though. He had a perfectly good explanation. With a bike helmet on his head, Josh ran through the yard with hands cupped and full of rose petals, calling "yo0-hoo, butterflies!" When grandma asked him why they stripped all the petals off her roses, he told her that butterflies have to eat too.
I was at work yesterday when Josh, with dad's permission, called his mom who works with my husband who is her uncle. Here is the essence of their conversation:

Josh: I have a tummy ache
Mom: Are you going to throw up?
Josh: No
Mom: Why don't you lie down on my bed until you feel better?
Josh: I think I need a chocolate donut
Mom: That doesn't sound like a good idea for someone with a tummy ache
Josh: I am feeling better already! Can I have a donut now?

May we all have a day or two where the time on the clock or the date on the calendar doesn't bother us, where we feel free to feed elusive butterflies and donuts can be a cure and a celebration!

4 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Josh sounds like a handful!

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

What a cute kid!!! Seriously cute!

Loved your idea for the cookie letters spelling out teh name on the birthday cake you made....I may steal that idea for Coleson's birthday. Caralyn has already put in a request for princess cupcakes. ;o)

The Urban Chic said...

Knit, your post are always so delightful and witty---I think you could earn money writing books of all the wonderful stories you tell. I would certainly be in line to buy them. Have you gotten the news about Mar? Please keep her in your prayers. I found out from others from our MSN group.
Josh is the sweetest thing and so innocent, then they grow up! Miss you and hope to get some kind of internet service soon. Love and hugs, Pat

andrea said...

josh is a doll, and his take on life is priceless...