Monday, June 28, 2010

Easy snack mix and ultra easy appetizer

Everyone probably makes some version of this snack mix. What made this one a hit at the fireworks party was one simple addition....butterscotch chips!
I used one bag of M&Ms dark chocolate which were in the house but not favored by my guys, one bag of regular M&Ms, a 12 oz can of salted peanuts, 1 cup of cashews, 2 cups of raisins and one 11 oz bag of butterscotch chips. Two people who claim not to like butterscotch loved this combo of flavors.

The appetizer is called Texas Caviar according to a friend who shared this with me. Four ingredients with optional cilantro for a garnish and a few bags of tortilla chips will have you ready to party. 
Open, rinse and drain 15 oz cans of black beans, black-eyed peas and corn. Once drained, stir together in a bowl with a 16 oz jar of salsa. Refrigerate, covered, for a few hours and stir before serving.

I used mild salsa and even the young kids liked it. I think I will use medium next time, and I bet it would be good spread on a dish (instead of in a bowl) with shredded cheese on top and zapped to melt.

Yummy + Easy = 1lg014woohoo Pictures, Images and Photos

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, your food looks so delicious! It's always great to get new ideas.
Thanks for popping in to see me today.
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Sewconsult said...

Yummy! I would substitute peanut butter chips for the butterscotch. I also add some good quality granola... so it looks more "healthy", but you and I both know it's not.
Beckie

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I serve my mix that I make with ice-cream-cones as the "holders." I am going to add in the butterscotch chips next time, hadn't thought of that!

betty said...

I like these; very easy and they look delicious; thanks for sharing them

betty

Chatty Crone said...

These look beautiful and yummy too. I think I like the mix the best. sandie