Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Chicken and Crescent Roll Casserole

I won't often give recipes here, but this one is too good and too easy not to share. I got it from my sister-in-law, but in looking online, I see that it is everywhere from Cooks.com to Taste of Home's website. I won't claim that it is a healthy recipe if you are concerned with fat carbs or sodium. One site gave this nutrition info:

1 serving (1 cup) equals 426 calories, 31 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 627 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.
If I had known Bill was going to like it and eat so much of it, I would have taken a picture first. I don't think that the half pan that is left wouldn't photograph well. You'll just have to use your imagination. I should add that Bill doesn't like (or thinks he doesn't like) mayo, sour cream or water chestnuts in casseroles. He did recognize the water chestnuts but thought they were a good texture. Listen to him! I think he's been watching the Food Network!


Chicken and Crescent Rolls Casserole

3 c. cooked chicken, cubed
1 can chicken or mushroom soup
8 oz. sliced water chestnuts
2/3 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. each onion and celery
1 (8 oz.) can crescent rolls
2/3 c. shredded Swiss cheese
4 tbsp. melted butter

Combine first 6 ingredients. Saute in pan until soft and bubbly. Pour in ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle cheese over that. Separate rolls. Place on top. Melt butter and pour over top. Bake 25 minutes at 375 degrees or golden brown

Despite the fact that  I had chicken ready to cook yesterday, the day got away from me and I bought a cooked rotisserie chicken at Kroger to use in this recipe. I pulled the meat apart rather than cubing it. The celery I thought was in the refrigerator had disappeared so that was omitted. Hey, it's a casserole...I'm sure you can add a little, subtract a little to suit yourself.

This would be a great recipe to serve at a home party or to take to a pot luck. It is supposed to serve 8-10 people, but if you have a hungry husband who skipped lunch and really likes this dish, it won't serve that many. Photobucket

3 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I love this recipe!! I thought the cresent rolls would be on the bottom but this is even better sounding.

xoxo
Jane

That corgi :) said...

that does sound delicious and easy to make, which is my main requirement when looking at a recipe, LOL. You are right, this would be good to take for a potluck. Will have to try the recipe when it cools down a bit in the fall; thanks for sharing it :)

enjoy the day

betty

Sewconsult said...

Oh, YUM! I love anything with chicken & a crust!