Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Chicken and Crescent Roll Casserole

I won't often give recipes here, but this one is too good and too easy not to share. I got it from my sister-in-law, but in looking online, I see that it is everywhere from Cooks.com to Taste of Home's website. I won't claim that it is a healthy recipe if you are concerned with fat carbs or sodium. One site gave this nutrition info:

1 serving (1 cup) equals 426 calories, 31 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 627 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.
If I had known Bill was going to like it and eat so much of it, I would have taken a picture first. I don't think that the half pan that is left wouldn't photograph well. You'll just have to use your imagination. I should add that Bill doesn't like (or thinks he doesn't like) mayo, sour cream or water chestnuts in casseroles. He did recognize the water chestnuts but thought they were a good texture. Listen to him! I think he's been watching the Food Network!


Chicken and Crescent Rolls Casserole

3 c. cooked chicken, cubed
1 can chicken or mushroom soup
8 oz. sliced water chestnuts
2/3 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. each onion and celery
1 (8 oz.) can crescent rolls
2/3 c. shredded Swiss cheese
4 tbsp. melted butter

Combine first 6 ingredients. Saute in pan until soft and bubbly. Pour in ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle cheese over that. Separate rolls. Place on top. Melt butter and pour over top. Bake 25 minutes at 375 degrees or golden brown

Despite the fact that  I had chicken ready to cook yesterday, the day got away from me and I bought a cooked rotisserie chicken at Kroger to use in this recipe. I pulled the meat apart rather than cubing it. The celery I thought was in the refrigerator had disappeared so that was omitted. Hey, it's a casserole...I'm sure you can add a little, subtract a little to suit yourself.

This would be a great recipe to serve at a home party or to take to a pot luck. It is supposed to serve 8-10 people, but if you have a hungry husband who skipped lunch and really likes this dish, it won't serve that many. Photobucket

3 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I love this recipe!! I thought the cresent rolls would be on the bottom but this is even better sounding.

xoxo
Jane

betty said...

that does sound delicious and easy to make, which is my main requirement when looking at a recipe, LOL. You are right, this would be good to take for a potluck. Will have to try the recipe when it cools down a bit in the fall; thanks for sharing it :)

enjoy the day

betty

Sewconsult said...

Oh, YUM! I love anything with chicken & a crust!