Saturday, December 26, 2009

Merry Day After!

I shouldn't be so happy the day after a holiday, but I am. It wasn't Christmas that had me down, it was a cold. Today is the first day in the past five that I have felt somewhat normal and that has me rejoicing.

Our Christmas day was wonderful, filled with family and anticipation of next year when a grandchild will have us all viewing Christmas decorations and traditions through new eyes.

While in South Carolina last week, I learned that many southern homes take their trees down on Christmas day or today. In my neighborhood in a southeastern Michigan, most trees come down somewhere between the December 31st and January 7th. Many leave their trees up to celebrate the feast of the Epiphany on January 6th. Our tree will come down in a few days. Today we are enjoying not having a timetable for any activity.
I woke up thinking about New Years eve and day for some reason. We don't have special plans and usually celebrate in a quiet fashion with just a few close friends if not just home alone. At 20-something, I would have thought that sad. Now I find that comfortable and more special than the loud parties and crowds that we once enjoyed.

Do you make resolutions or aim for changes in January even if you don't call them resolutions? I don't make specific ones but getting back to a regular schedule after works of hectic activity is always welcome. Undecorating the house but leaving up some wintery decor (my snowmen collection) often leads to reorganizing the things that will be packed away until next year. Then there is food and fitness...how many of us resolve to diet or to begin a workout program?

I'm tackling that differently this year. I've already begun working out at a gym. I had pre-paid Weight Watchers through part of December and don't think I'll be returning soon. Their program is a good one and I certainly don't fault the organization or my group leader for my current feelings. I have been counting points or calories off and on for weigh too many years (yes, I meant weigh instead of way Photobucket) and have decided to try something different. I am going to cook whatever I want and eat whatever I want, but try to eat moderately when I know it is high cal and exercise more when I overindulge because of a holiday or special event. I've lost and regained the same pounds many times because I get tired of journaling food and counting points, calories, carbs or whatever a new fad diet may suggest. There are things I seldom cook or bake anymore because I tell myself they aren't good for us. When I do finally make them, I overindulge because it has been too dang long since I've had them.

Everything in life is about finding a balance. I hope to find a balance in the kitchen. I don't want cooking to be the drudge it has been in recent years. It's been a drudge because I haven't been happy (much less excited Photobucket ) about what I've been cooking. Wish me luck and I'll let you know if this works for me of if I need to return to WW after a few months with a new mindset.

6 comments:

andrea said...

rest up today and feel better!

SmilingSally said...

I'm glad that you're over that nasty cold. We usually take our tree down soon after Christmas because my son's birthday is December 31st, and I always wanted to decorate for his birthday. Then, it became a habit, so that even after he married, we took our decorations down.

This year, we had no tree as we'd just moved. So, I'm enjoying less work!

Blondie's Journal said...

I am a Midwestern girl too, and we love to leave our tree up until it is about falling over. It still looks healthy so...

I am glad you are over this cold. Everyone seems to have it, whatever it is. Mine hasn't put me to bed, but my tissue box and I are never too far apart!

I think your plan to lose weight is a good one. I am so like you when it comes to deprivation of sweets. I know that for sure since the past few days...I have eaten the cakes and cookies and pies like there is no tomorrow. And although I am not a follower of any plan, I firmly believe eating in moderation and exercise are the key to maintaining a healthy weight. Good luck. I am with you on this!

xoxo
Janie

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

If one way of losing weight doesn't work, try another, good idea!!!

We didn't take our tree down early in the South, but we were in the very Deep South. I have known people from all over who do get it down right away. Some of our neighbors out here were pulling theirs down on Christmas Day itself!!!

KTW said...

Well, I'm kind of in between the north and the south, I suppose. ;) Everything is down and put away except for the BIG tree in the family room and my Christmas village. I love that 'ready for a clean sweep' feeling that I get when packing up Christmas for another year.

And I do believe you have a healthy attitude about eating. Everything in moderation and you'll be fine. I can't totally deny myself foods I love. It always leads to overindulgence.

Chatty Crone said...

I think that finding balance in everything one does is a great thing. I have trouble with that - but I keep on trying. I'm glad Chrismtas is over - a little less stressful feeling. I'm in GA - still have my tree up.

Sandie