Thursday, February 12, 2009

A good consumer's last day in Florida

Tomorrow morning hubby and I head back to Michigan. I will miss the wonderful Florida weather, but I am ready for my own bed and surroundings. I am going home rested and inspired. What could be better than that? Ok, thinner and richer would be nice, but I am not that delusional.

Last spring I met a long time internet pal face to face for the first time. As we were running around her side of Florida, she found out I had never eaten at a Chick-Fil-A. She remedied that and new fan was born. Obviously there is something drastically wrong in Michigan as we don't have one single Chick-Fil-A in the entire state. For my last lunch in Florida on this trip, I dined there and had meal combo #1. Yum!

Another establishment missing in Michigan is A.C. Moore, the craft store. I know my way in and out of Michael's, Joann's, Mary Maxim's and Hobby Lobby and can tell you the strengths and weaknesses of each. It would come as no surprise to anyone who knows me that I felt it my duty to check out A.C. Moore while here. The store passed my inspection and kept forty of my dollars.

Saving my best discovery for last, I have now shopped at Bealls. Twice. I am impressed with their selection, especially their colors, and their prices. I didn't intend to shop their twice, but a second location was next to the craft store and it lured me right in. I can't take warm weather home with me, but I am taking happy colors and good memories along with web addresses for online shopping back to Michigan.

I spent a good part of yesterday on Pine Island, eating my first shrimp po' boy and enjoying the artist community in Matlacha. If we had driven down to Floria, I would have been tempted to buy something from the Wild Child Art Gallery, but flying does keep shopping in check. Somewhat. I am pretty sure I just saw this artist's works in an watercolor magazine. I love Janet Dutton's style and use of color. I don't want to copy her work, but I do want to attempt her style. Therein lies the inspiration I am taking home. I hope there is still an opening in the March watercolor class at the community college.

I also hope I can fit my purchases in my suitcase. I would hate to wear everything in layers on the way home. I may need the warmth back in Michigan, but that many layers on a plus size body is not attractive. Cross your fingers for my luggage if you don't want to see the headline
Michelin-like Mama Returns to Michigan
One too many stops at Chick-Fil-A and Bealls causes problems


6 comments:

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Welcome home Knitty. You listed a craft store that we don't have here. Dang it!

Gotta love Chick fil a!

Roslyn said...

Hmmm fair warning, I will stay away from Chick filet!
Roslyn

andrea said...

welcome back...and thanks for bringing the snow back with you :) glad that you enjoyed your mini-vacation

Bamaknit said...

Aunt Knitty,
I am glad you have dined on Chick-fil-a and enjoyed it. As you can imagine it is a staple in our lives. Randy and I had dinner there last night(I too had a #1 {with a diet coke-got to save calories somewhere}).
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I work at Bealls and I am THRILLED by your comment. You could not have described what we are trying to do any better if we scripted it for you!

You are an inspiration to us. Thank you for being a fabulous woman!!!!!!

The Urban Chic said...

Welcome back Knit. Glad you enjoyed all the good things here in the south, but I think you did sneak some of our warm weather with you---it's chilly again here and I for one am so ready for spring. Hugs, Pat