Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ahhhh, baby sweaters

People think I am a sucker for babies because I love to knit baby sweaters and make baby quilts. I just like them because they are quicker to make.
Ok, that isn't the complete truth. I am a sucker for babies.

One of my friends will soon become a grandmother again. The baby will be a first child (a daughter) for this son and daughter-in-law. I made this sweater and have another one planned that will be toddler sized.

The yarn is Oh My! by Plymouth Yarn and is ever so soft. I went to my favorite yarn shop, Indigo Rose in Sterling Heights, Michigan, to buy yarn for one sweater. I came home with yarn for three of them. This is the story of my life and explains why my sewing/craft room is bursting at the seams.

I have one more watercolor class in this series of classes. As much as I am enjoying them, I may skip the series that begins in September and resume after the first of the year. September is always a busy month and the holidays arrive earlier each year. Don't tell me it is an age thing....I know someone is playing with the calendar! Every year I have good intentions of being organized like my friend Peggy who starts Christmas projects in January. I really tried that this year. I made three ornaments before mid-February. The other nine sit neglected and are losing hope of being completed this year. My project priorities are forever shifting, but I do well against deadlines. For instance, I finished my watercolor homework for this Tuesday's class last night because I know the rest of the weekend is going to be busy. This painting is better than my worst, and worse than my best.

The girl's dress and hat have a black heart and a yellow checked heart appliqu├ęd on them, along with the flower and bee on her bodice. Even though the placement of her hand is accurate per the photograph we worked from in class, I think the black heart on her dress is confusing to the viewer. Her eyes were very dark, but I think the ones I painted look ominous. Maybe I'll try this one again with darker values throughout the painting or with lighter eyes. Or maybe I'll get going on those Christmas ornaments.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Oooohhhhh...I am a sucker for teeny baby clothes - makes me want to have another one...can I get it in blue, please? :)
The watercolor is beatiful - can't wait for your exhibit! I have the dates marked on my calender...

The Urban Chic said...

Knit that is an adorable little sweater and your watercoloring is always nice to see. Wish I could paint, but the best I can hope for is rubber stamping an image and water coloring it.
Thanks for asking if I needed some bubble wrap-lol. I think I need to cover from hips up. It hurts when I laugh and Laugh when it hurts. With that, I am off to bed with an ice pack. Love Ya, Pat