Saturday, January 11, 2014

Birthday Card

My younger son has a birthday on Monday. He will be 34. If that isn't bad enough, his brother will be 36 in two months. Good thing I'm not concerned with lying about my age. I mean I might if I could pull it off, and more importantly, if I could remember what age I claim as my own. I know someone on Facebook who took 10 years off her age. Does she really think family and long time friends don't know how old she is? It's just a number, and as the saying goes, the more birthdays you have, the longer you live. Profound, right? That's me.

I need a lot more birthdays to get through all the crafts that I have pinned on Pinterest. One pin led to this card. It measures 5.5" wide and 6.5" tall. Flat, it is mail-able but I think it would require extra postage. I didn't make an envelope for this, it will just be handed to my son. Without further ado, here it is, first flat:
And here it is standing, table high view:
Looking at from above:
And from directly overhead:
A paper cutter and scoring device are handy but not absolute necessities. Chances are, if you make cards or play much with paper, you already have these tools.

The directions and a video guide to making this are available at Splitcoaststampers I don't recall if you have to be a member to see this or not, but there is no cost involved and I do not get unwanted emails, etc from them. They are safe.

The two photos that are at odd angles to the left and right on the opened card are glued to narrow strips of acetate. I recently organized all of my cling style rubber stamps, most of which came packaged with small sheets of clear acetate. As I put the stamps in their new home, I couldn't toss all that acetate that might be useful. For once, I was right!

The back panel of this card should have had the black paper on the back side and striped paper (the lining of the box) visible from the front. Oops. That panel and a plain one on the back are cut longer to keep the rear flap of the box upright. In this card, the back panel is solid black and I wrote our son's birthday greetings in metallic ink.

I will definitely make this card again.

2 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Knitty! Where have you been? Have I missed your posts somehow? I've missed your sense of humor...the birthday one is good! And I love the card but you know how uncrafty I am.

Let's catch up!

XO,
Jane

Debbie said...

I love this! I'm going to take a look and see if I can see the link.