Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sizzix Chair Die Birthday Cards

Good morning from Michigan where spring is trying to force winter into submission. Please cheer for her.

I bought a new Sizzix die last month, not realizing I needed the Horizontal A2 Card Die (# 657802) for this insert die to work. I have a Movers & Shakers Die that I thought would work. Wrong. My wallet's loss is Sizzix's gain as I really, really wanted to use my new purchase, Sizzix Pop 'n Cuts Magnetic Insert Die, # 658370 3-D Chair.

I've made two birthday cards so far with this die. I'm envisioning all sorts of embellishments that will make this chair perfect for various people in my life.

First, a card for a woman who is exactly 6 months younger than I am. We've declared ourselves twins. Wouldn't that have been a horrible delivery for one mother?
I kept the face of the card simple. On the inside, I used striped paper to make wallpaper. The framed photos on the wall are her dear grandson and the two of us at a birthday celebration years ago. Resizing and adding the frames were done with a free online graphics program, Online-image-editor.com .
The book on the chair and the margarita were both printed from online images. I considered adding some depth (thickness) the book but was afraid the chair wouldn't fold properly as the card closed. The margarita is attached to a clear piece of plastic that folds down as the card closes. I added a handwritten sentiment after taking pictures of the card.

Next was the same basic card, this time for my sewing buddy.
I didn't have photos to frame for the interior so I added the Happy Birthday (a Martha Stewart punch) to the inside of the card. The bow on the front was made from Sizzix die # 658541 with a piece of actual ribbon for the knot.
My sewing buddy is also a reader, so she got a book too. A Viking sewing machine may have been more appropriate for her, but a sewing basket looked cuter sitting on the floor. She got a cup of tea on the arm of her chair.
This view is a little more of an overhead shot. The basket and teacup are in place with small piece of folded card stock holding them upright but easy to fold down as the card folds to fit within an envelope.

Both cards made it through the mail without extra postage. For a card that I hand deliver I will probably add more items that personalize the interior for the recipient.

No comments: