Thursday, December 2, 2010

Are you a Walmart shopper?

I know that Wal-Mart is a hot topic for some people. I don't feel the way many naysayers do, but I also don't shop at the store nearest me because it often feels messy to me and I hate the parking lot. Other locations are ok, but I don't visit them often, I tend to shop within the same loop of stores near me. The facts that follow came to me as part of an email. I did attempt to verify these facts at Snopes and found that they are mostly accurate.

I present this not as any kind of political commentary (the email included this line: You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to fix the economy), I post the facts here simply because they amaze me.


1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart Every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target +Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people, is the world's largest private employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway combined,and keep in mind they did this in only fifteen years.

8. During this same period, 31 big supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had five years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at Wal-Mart stores. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within fifteen miles of a Wal-Mart.

For the record, I personally do my best to boost Target's sales figures  Photobucket Photobucket and I try to support local businesses because I know how hard it is for independents to survive in today's economy.

The numbers and rate of growth is staggering, isn't it?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Since moving to the Midwest, I shop more frequently at Wal-Mart; however, I must admit that I too tend to gravitate towards the same stores. I am a creature of habit, I guess. And I like being able to get in and out of stores quickly! Have a Merry Christmas!

Blondie's Journal said...

Our Walmart is pretty much a mess and it has been a long time since I have been there. I have to say I gravitate to Target more...but it's not a fair comparison since I know there are nicer Walmarts out there than ours.

Very interesting facts!

XO,
Jane

Chatty Crone said...

I confess I am a wally world shopper - I just hope that they haven't taken a picture of me and passed it around in an email (lol).

sandie

Sewconsult said...

I only shop at Walmart as a last resort. Our nearest store has a parking lot for only that only an olympic athlete would find easy. If I didn't have a handicap placard, there is no way I would ever shop at this one in particular. It has a bridge to the lower parking lot area for non-handicapped folks. Walmart is a horrible employer. That's how they can make more money. They keep the number of employees on full time status at a very low count as opposed to the part time ones. No or few benefits being offered. Bigger bottom line.
I prefer Target, also.
Beckie

artis1111 said...

I have a Wally World 2 milws from me. I am there a lot. They have people in wheel chairs that work there,and I don't know many stores that would hire handycap people to work. I don't know how they treat their help, but they hire people. There are so many out of work that at least they have jobs. In these times people should enjoy just having a job. I love my Wallmart. Kathy