Friday, August 21, 2009

Socks


I seem to have a sock obsession lately, almost an addiction. When not knitting a sock, I am reading sock patterns, looking at sock yarn, reading other knitter's blogs about socks or watching my sister-in-law whip out another pair. She is actually the one with an addiction. I merely have a keen interest in them. Nothing as dark and sinister as an addiction.

My first pair of socks done back in April (here) were knitted on double pointed needles from the cuff down to the toe. I was pleased with them and love the needles that I used but was intrigued by the idea of using two circular needles instead of double pointed needles. For those who don't knit, I know this is gobbledygook to you and I won't bore you with the details. It was merely using different tools to create the same result.

This pair was done on the circular needles. The big advantage for me is that the work in progress seemed more portable without the fear of a needle slipping out.
I had another method to try, still using the circular needles but working the sock from the toe up the cuff. Do you hear Fred Astaire singing "Heaven, I'm in Heaven"? I asked him to sing it for me because my voice isn't one you'd want to listen to and besides, if I'm not singing, I can be talking about socks! Here is the pair done from toe to cuff.
Both pair are shorties, just tall enough in the cuff that they won't slide down inside my shoes. Here is the current sock on my needles and the book that inspired me. It was a happy day of internet wandering that led me sock pattern designer Wendy Johnson and her blog.
Life is good when your hands are busy and your feet aren't cold.

Please click on the logo above to visit Lit and Laundry today and future Fridays for more Finished for Friday posts.

3 comments:

Threeundertwo said...

I have to try these! I've seen several blogs that mention that book now and everyone seems to have success. I love the colors you chose!

Thanks so much for joining in! I look forward to reading more of your blog.

Patty said...

I love that second pair of socks! I have got to learn how to knit.

SmilingSally said...

You are GOOD!