Sunday, March 29, 2009

One Sock!

No, this isn't a lament about a washer devouring foot coverings. It is a celebration of creation! I have one sock done and the mate is in progress!

I have knit Christmas stockings over the years, but haven't made functional socks for myself before. A few years ago my sister-in-law and I went out of town for a girl's weekend. We took directions for knitting socks on two circular needles (the concept was big news to me then), yarn and needles on our trip to Frankenmuth. Have you ever tried to do any kind of needlework in a motel room? Many of them seem to believe in electrical conservation by way of dim light bulbs. I don't know if they actually make a 5 watt bulb for a desk lamp, but if they do, the motel we were in bought them by the carton.

I hate to tell young stitchers that the day will come when knitting or sewing on black or navy blue will only done in broad daylight or under the glow of an Ott light, but it is true. Sitting on a dark bedspread, with dark yarn in a dim motel room, we gave up on the socks and bought finished socks the next day on our shopping trip.

The yarn for this sock, a self striping one favored by sock knitters has been in my stash for a while now. When my sister-in-law announced she had taken the plunge and was knitting socks, I heard a tiny voice coming from a bin in my craft room closet.

Yoo-hoo! I am still here waiting to be knitted!

While I hate being guilted into doing something, I am happy with the result. The leg is purposely short (3") as I like them that way.


3 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Congratulations! It's pretty too.

andrea said...

i LOVE that sock!!! are you going to be selling pairs of them? if so, i'm interested...

Lidushka said...

I do the same, A lot of stuff during the day, and a lot of knitting in between. Nice socks, I never make short socks like that, I always make mine high, but these look nice for spring time.
Lidushka