Thursday, November 20, 2008

Buttons, buttons, buttons

This post fits into Tam's Three or More Thursday theme. Click on the logo on the right for more information or use this link: The Gypsy's Corner

Like many people who work with fabric, yarn and jewelry, I like buttons. Here are three examples of what to do with buttons besides using them as closures. First we have a ivory colored sweatshirt that was embellished with green embroidery floss and a variety of white buttons (and one yellow star button) attached with red floss.


My sewing/craft room was formerly a bedroom with dark stain on the bi-fold closet doors. When it first became my room to use, I had hopes of changing the doors so I didn't bother using a stain sealer and paint on them. Instead, I camouflaged some of the doors' imperfections with novelty buttons hot glued to the door. It became such a conversation piece, we never did replace the doors.


I looked for a battery operated clock for that room but didn't find anything that I liked. The buttons on the doors worked so well, why not use them on a clock? This clock was originally painted to look like a baseball. It was in the clearance bin for $2. A few coats of white acrylic paint covered up the baseball seams and buttons were glued on for the numerals. The thread, needle, spool, pins and thimble are a combination of Pigma pen, paint and a Sharpie marker. The words near the minute hand are "It's time to sew".


If you hear of that child's game of long ago "Button, button, who's got the button" rest assured...I have it.

7 comments:

andrea said...

There's TONS to do with buttons!!! Button flower bouquets...button pen toppers...buttons on scrapbook pages and cards...turn one into a ring...the list is ENDLESS! One can never have too many buttons!!!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

This post made me smile! How creative to use buttons like that! Great post.

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Love that button tree, Knitty! And that clock...too cool!

Neabear said...

What a great button post! So clever! I have been seeing so many ideas to do with buttons. Awesome!

bj said...

Great button post...I have never thought about collecting buttons until lately...now, I feel a need for a button collection!! lol
you have some great ideas...\

oh, and I don't understand what makes a good artist...If I like their work, I really don't care if they are famous or not. Mr. Harvey 's works are soooo expensive.But..oh, so pretty.

Nettie said...

Very clever uses for buttons...I like collecting buttons too...they're just so fabulous to use on anything your heart desires

Gypsy aka Tam said...

Oh what great ideas of what to do with buttons. I just love the button christmas tree on the shirt and the clock face is so unique and would be a great gift idea as well. Sorry for the issues with my Mr. Linky this week. Hopefully the same problem won't happend next week. Have a wonderful weekend,
Tam